The information contained on this website is for informational purposes only and represents a good faith effort by the BFUMC staff to educate and inform our congregation on the full range of perspectives regarding the current issues facing the UMC and their impact on the future of our church. The inclusion of any links herein does not imply a recommendation or endorsement of the views expressed within them by the BFUMC staff, and we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness or factual accuracy of any opinions/information presented. We encourage the congregation to prayerfully consider all information disseminated, independently verify any information upon which you rely, and seek out truthful information on your own such that if the time comes, you will be able to make a decision on disaffiliation or not based upon your own informed heart and mind.
As you may know, BFUMC has entered a period of discernment to determine our future in the United Methodist Church. As this is a serious decision, we are asking everyone to join us for 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting beginning Sunday, September 4th. The purpose of holding 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting is to earnestly seek the Lord, to seek His will for our church, and to pray for His guidance for each of us during this decision making process. We will also be emailing out daily prayers and devotionals during this time. If you would like a printed copy of these devotions, please contact Karen Whitehead. For more information on fasting, click here: https://www.methodistprayer.org/wesleyfast. If fasting food is not medically possible, we invite you to prayerfully consider another fast: perhaps fasting from your phone, social media, or television so that you can focus more on the Lord and on prayer.
If you have questions, concerns, or just want to make sure your voice is heard, please sign up and join us at one (or all) of our Listening Sessions in September. There will be no presentations at these Listening Sessions—they are simply times to bring questions and concerns. Your pastors or lay leadership are also available to come speak to Sunday School classes, grow groups, and other groups if the group leader would like us to do so. Listening sessions will be held on the following dates:
- Sunday, September 11th at 3:00 PM
- Monday, September 12th at 6:30 PM
- Sunday, September 18th at 3:00 PM
To sign up for one of these listening sessions, please contact Karen Whitehead at firstname.lastname@example.org or click here: https://bfumc.ccbchurch.com/goto/forms/116/responses/new.
Please know that your pastors, church council chair, and church council are at work to develop a transparent process for us to move forward.
For more information on disaffiliation, go here: https://www.ngumc.org/disaffiliation-process-and-information.
We will have informational meetings from the GMC (Rev. Kevin Lobello) on September 19th at 7pm (which you can now view HERE) and from the UMC (Rev. Dr. Jim Cantrell) on September 26th at 7pm. Then we will have a church-wide meeting on October 3rd at 7pm. All of these meetings are open to everyone and will be held in the Sanctuary.
If you have any questions you would like to be addressed during one of these meetings, please contact Karen Whitehead at email@example.com.
Stay UMC Perspective
- North Georgia Resource Page
- UNITY Remain UMC Perspective
- Answering Questions About the UMC
- NEW African Bishops Statement
- The United Methodist Divorce is a Mistake
- “A Future With Hope: With Adam Hamilton”, Video
- Abide Web Resources, South Georgia Conference
- That We May Be One, Texas Conference Resource Page
- Stay UMC “What are the Big Concerns?“, North Alabama Conference
- Is the UMC Really? (Part 1) and (Part 2)
- “United Methodist Church”, Video by the Texas Conference of the UMC
- Diverse and Still United: A Conversation With Adam Hamilton and John Stephens
- Heartfelt Plea to the WCA – Stop Lying About the UMC
Leave UMC Perspective
- Differences that Divide the UMC, Six 12-15 minute videos
- How Did We Get Here and Where are We Going, 45 minute video
- Major Challenges Facing the UMC
- Major Challenges Facing the UMC Part II
- The Center Cannot Hold
- That Time Has Come
- Exiting United Methodism Now
- Do as I Say Not as I Do
- Will the Post Separation UMC be a “Big Tent”?
- A Vision for the Continuing UMC, 8 minute video
- New Sinking Sand, Why I’m Leaving United Methodism
- New On Separation, Schism, and Seasons
- New Disaffiliation and the Coming Drop Dead-Line
- New Bishop Scott Jones Q&A, 54 minute video