Annual Giving: “Generosity”
Each year, members of Bethlehem First United Methodist Church are asked to complete an Annual Giving Commitment Card as we make plans for the coming year. Annual giving supports the operating expenses of the church – our on-going ministries. An annual commitment serves several purposes.
- This is a time for individuals and families to spend time in prayer, reflecting on God’s blessings, and recommitting to loving God with your head, heart and hands.
- On a practical level, this is a good time to review your financial budget and make sure it reflects your priorities.
- Presenting our commitments to God is an act of worship we share as a community, as we ask God to bless and use our gifts.
- For the church, annual giving commitments help us set ministry budgets for the coming year and make the most of the resources committed to God’s work through us
At Bethlehem First UMC, the amount you give is a personal decision, but the Bible teaches us to give a tithe or ten percent to God. For many the tithe is just the beginning
Paul encouraged generosity at all times: “Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity.” (2 Corinthians 8:2)
Stewardship – to serve as one who manages another’s property, finances or other affairs – is not just the means for the church to raise money. It is a way of life that recognizes everything we have is God’s, and we are simply managing those resources while here on earth.
The Bible is filled with examples of grateful response to God’s generous gifts. The Bible also teaches about our personal responsibility to share with others and warns against selfishness and misuse of God’s economic resources.United Methodist Approach to Stewardship
John Wesley urged those in connection with him to “Earn all you can and save all you can, so that you can give all you can.” He modeled modest living and sacrificial giving. Wesley made sure those early classes of “methodists” took weekly offerings to help others in need.
Today, we United Methodists join others to help all of God’s children… whenever and wherever we can – just as Jesus multiplied the loaves and fishes when the crowd grew hungry. Through our congregation, we are the heart, spirit and hands of God’s outreaching love. Life grows here through the joy of generosity.Membership Expectations
Our mission at Bethlehem First United Methodist Church is to “make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” We ask our members to commit to five aspects of Christian life:
- Make worship a priority
- Make intentional invitations to friends and neighbors
- Make time to nurture Godly friendships through prayer, encouragement, and support
- Make a committment to grow in your faith
- Make a difference in the lives of others through service
Financial Planning Tools
The following online tools can help you better manage your resources and honor God with your giving.
ONLINE BUDGETING TOOL
FINANCIAL PLANNING WORKSHEET – KEY QUESTIONS
MONTHLY CASH FLOW PLAN
SECRETS FOR IMPROVING YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH MONEY
TIPS FOR TEENAGERS ABOUT MONEY
TOP TEN STEPS FOR IMPROVING YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH MONEY
USING GOD’S RESOURCES FOR KIDS
AGE LEVEL GOALS FOR STEWARDSHIP